Friday, December 31, 2010

Our Top 5 Posts: The Year in Review

Here are my (Meghan's) top five favorite posts, in chronological order:
  1. Happy New Year’s (1/1/2010): I like this one because New Year’s is always one of my favorite feelings in that it’s a new start and the year is so shiny and new and full of promise. When I look at this photo I think of how excited we were about Colombia and also how much fun we had in Manhattan that night and in years past and also makes me think of the freedom of not having kids yet and this picture is just full of happy memories for me.
  2. The Little Guys are Back (1/14/2010): This is one of my favorites because it makes me laugh every single time I see it. Natalie’s expression is hilarious and I think their little personalities are more evident in this photo than a lot of the ones I take of them.
  3. Orleans (3/31/2010): This photo is in my top five because it is very powerful to me in its ability to bring back emotions even if they aren’t all pleasant. Firstly, it makes me remember the experience of living in Colombia for two weeks, which despite all the events that occurred there, I really value. I don’t know if I’ll ever get that “living in a foreign country” opportunity again and I loved Medellin and that experience. Secondly, I remember that combination of despair that we failed at our plan and confusion about what our life would be and also satisfaction that we had made the best possible choice and relief that we were no longer in a very bad situation. It was an emotional time that was hard to process and this photo brings that back. Thirdly, I think this picture and remembering this time will always give me hope to know that life always has good and bad and it always goes on. So even when things seem so disappointing, that doesn’t mean things won’t be better in the future so this definitely is a reminder to trust in God and retain optimism for me.
  4. Bling and a Gourd (9/30/2010): I love this one because firstly I absolutely love the earrings I got and wear them every single day. But more than that, I actually think the squash part is incredibly romantic and I just love that I am married to someone who gets me so much that he knows that a warty gourd is an absolutely perfect low-cost gift for me. I drew a face on the squash and kept him for two months until he went bad. It made me really happy and looking at this photo makes me happy thinking about a good birthday and a very thoughtful gift.
  5. Reason for the Season (12/24/2010): It’s really hard to choose only one more photo when I find several of the ones with Joshua in them very meaningful. However, since I do have to choose just one, I think it has to be this one. Firstly, even though we stopped going to COR a long time ago because it’s far too big and impersonal to me, I find their Christmas Eve service to be an incredible experience that is so meaningful and enjoyable every single time. To be able to share this with Joshua and see him hold his own little candle, even though he has no idea what is really going on, was just wonderful. Also, I think that night was sort of a microcosm of parenting. The service itself was more stressful and less enjoyable to me personally than previous years because we had to constantly worry about keeping Joshua happy and quiet and we couldn’t be quite as engaged in the carols and sermon as I would prefer. But despite that, it was ultimately far more happy and rewarding than it had been in previous years because Joshua was there.

Here are my (Jason's) top five favorite posts, in chronological order:
  1. The Little Guys are Back (1/14/2010): Every time I see this one, I laugh.  Natalie's facial expression is hilarious, and it's cute that Meghan can hardly get in the picture because of the horde of pugs on her lap.
  2. Technical Difficulties (2/1/2010): This is a great picture not only because of the humor involved with my poorly-built CPR infant dummy, but also because it reminds me of all the preparation that we had to do prior to leaving for Colombia. Even the things that were tedious had a degree of excitement to them because it was all part of the process and the crazy journey that Meghan and I got to go through prior to us leaving for Colombia.
  3. KC Sports Day (9/13/2010): I don't have a lot of time to hang out with my friends these days, so I try to make the most of it when I do. This post marks one of the most fun events I've had with my friends in recent memory. From tailgating at the stadium complex, to finally catching a baseball, to being part of the ear-splitting crowd at Arrowhead during a torrential downpour, it was an awesome day.
  4. Three Generations (10/23/2010): I've always been proud of my dad, and I've always tried to be a good son for him. I've also always wanted to someday be a father myself. Taking this picture when my Dad first met Joshua was special because it makes me so happy to be able to be a son to my father and to now have the chance to have my own son and to be a father to him.
  5. Two K-State Fans (11/23/2010): I love this picture because it gets me so excited about the future with Joshua. My passion for K-State is a big part of my life, so just even seeing him in a K-State shirt makes me really happy, even though he doesn't yet have a clue what any of it means. But I'm also so excited in general to teach him things and play games and sports with him and to do all the things that fathers and sons do together, and this picture represents that to me.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment