Friday, December 31, 2010

Here We Go Again: The Last Post

I make New Year’s resolutions every year. I try to keep them small and quantifiable. So my resolution to take a picture every day for a year was much grander in scope than I would normally consider. I had read The Happiness Project (one of my favorite blogs and a great book) and one of her resolutions was to keep a one sentence journal. The idea being it's a doable way to record your life rather than a typical journal or diary. I modified that idea to a photo everyday because I am much too wordy to only write a single sentence and I thought photographs would be more fun to look back on.
At times it's been difficult, partly because sometimes our lives are very boring and sometimes, like coming home from Colombia, I didn't feel we had anything we wanted to say or share. However, this year unfolded in a way we never could have anticipated and it has been an incredibly rewarding project to capture the highs and lows as well as the essence of our everyday lives.
We talked a lot about if we wanted to continue our project into 2011 and, if so, if we wanted to change it so maybe it would just be a few times a week rather than every day. In the end, we chose to continue it in its current form, with a photo every day. Even though that necessarily involves some photos that aren't the most exciting, we think it's worth it to have a more complete record. My original intent was not to have 365 "frame-worthy" pictures, but to photograph our everyday life so we could have a record of it. I think the great thing about every day is that you don't stop and think, "Is this a photo-worthy moment?". Instead you just take a picture.
We invite you to join us as we start 2011 at http://thousandwords2011.blogspot.com/ . I believe I have added everyone who is a member of this blog to the new one. If you have any problems accessing it or know of someone who would like to be added, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment